Friday, June 15, 2012

An Expensive Enough Foundation?

If I had to pick one product I really don't like, it's foundation.  I swear I've tried them all, and I have a couple of favourites but if my face is in good condition, I'd rather go with powder alone.  I just don't like it all over my face.  I definitely don't need another foundation, I have about at least 6 almost completely full bottles.  I was browsing the other day and the saleslady was really pitching this La Prairie to me.  They are a Swiss company specializing in skin care.  I've never bought anything from them and I don't know if I ever will, but this is what they are promoting now, "Skin Caviar". 



This is one of the products from the collection, "Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation".

... and this is what they have to say about it:

"Lavish your skin with a unique combination of colour and care in one brilliantly conceived skincare product with the superb nourishing, moisturizing, energizing attributes of Caviar Extract.

Two products in one: One part luxury foundation that tints, firms and protects your skin while counteracting signs of aging, one part professional-level concealer, the two work in beautiful synergy to provide long-lasting yet weightless coverage.

You will notice an immediate improvement in the condition and appearance of your skin."

Now for the clencher....

it is

(ONLY)

$200. 

$200!!

Man that is a bit of a stretch, even for me.  I got a small sample of Cle de Peau when I bought a lipstick but I never bought the full size, which is over $100.  I have bought an Armani foundation for around $70, and I think that's the most I've ever spent.  The ones I like are in the $40-$50 range.   
To say that it has a concealer with it, is that really a selling point?  I am perfectly fine with a budget concealer as long as it performs well.  I like Nars and it's like $20.  I also like Inglot and it was like $5.  I've seen these products, with real caviar, gold dust, diamonds, whatever, and I've not been even slightly interested in them. I've learned a long time ago that when it comes to cosmetics, price and quality don't always correlate, which can be good or bad.
There is a more reasonable "Anti-Aging" La Prarie foundation, a bargain at $105. 


Honestly this one looks pretty good, especially if you are looking for something with anti-aging properties- La Prarie is known for their anti-aging cellular therapies.  I think short of a cosmetic procedure, the most effective option would be a foundation like this.  I can totally see myself buying this in 10 years maybe.  When you consider the risks and costs involved of having "work done" this seems like such a good option in my opinion.  I personally would definitely rather resort to buying expensive makeup as long as the results were good, but that's my opinion now, who knows what it will be 10 years from now. 

I wonder if any celebrities use this. 

Has anyone tried this or something similar? 

No comments:

Post a Comment