Monday, June 27, 2011

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner

Since I have been practising with black eyeliner a lot lately, I thought I would branch out and I've always liked blue eyeliner on others. 

I got this in Sapphire, which appeared blue on the package:


It is blue, just not the blue I had in mind....



It is such a pretty navy blue.  The swatch shows up much better here with flash:


And without flash:


Now, I must confess, this is only the second brand of eyeliner I have ever tried.  I bought this one in black orginally because I had placed an order for Blacktrack but I just couldn't wait to start using "gel" eyeliner.  I really had no clue what gel eyeliner was, even though I do remember MUAs using these little pots on me.  I thought it meant gel, like hair gel or shower gel- how ridiculous, right???  Well, I didn't know any better!  At least now I'm starting to get the hang of it. 

So, not having much to compare it to, I don't really know how effective my review will be, but I will try. 
I really like it, it has a thick texture and is really easy to work with.  If I make a mistake and see it right away, I can take care of it, but otherwise once it's on, it's on until I take it off.  I love that part about it.  I have never had it run or fade on my eyes.  I don't use it on my waterline though, I prefer a pencil for that. 

One thing I absolutely hate about this, is the brush.  It is just useless.  This is the worst photo ever (sorry, my camera has issues with black!) but it is the worst brush ever for eyeliner.  It is thick and wide, and even though its stiff, it doesn't help make a straight line.  It does not apply the product evenly at all, it seems to take some away every time I slide the bristles over it.  Apparently I must have tossed out the one that came with the black one I have right away, which is what I did with this one.   


I've been using the Sonia Kashuk bent angled eyeliner brush, and it works perfectly.  Thick, thin, straight- it does it all. 

Back to the product.  I love it.  It is easy to work with and stays put.  Excellent pigmentation (with the right brush!), affordable and accessible.  

5 comments:

  1. its a nice blue~~~i really like the maybelline studio gel liner~~they are reasonable priced, and good quality


    Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for gel liners!! I only ever use pencil when I'm in a hurry, and I always feel like it's sloppy. I feel like this gives me the same look of a liquid liner, which I can't apply at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always on the hunt for a new navy eyeliner and also really adore cream/gel products. Thanks for the swatches and review; I am so going to pick some up

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the black and I love it too!! Hate the brush, useless. I've also tried the L'Oreal Hip Gel liners and I don't like those. The Maybelline works really well, stays on all day and doesn't crease.

    I gave you a blog award, check it out here http://foxyariesbeautyblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/butterfly-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the time the brushes that come with gel eyeliners are pretty rubbish, I've had to buy separate brushes for it but definitely worth the money as I prefer gel liner to anything else!

    ReplyDelete